Family Law Attorney for Austin and Central Texas CALL US: 512-499-8678

Declaration and Registration of Informal Marriage

A couple may register its informal marriage by filling out and signing a form* prescribed by the bureau of vital statistics and filing the declaration and registration with the county clerk in the county that they reside.

Although the declaration and registration is considered to be prima facie proof that a marriage exists, the trial court is not required to recognize the marriage if evidence establishes that an informal marriage does not exist or did not exist during the time period stated on the declaration and registration.

* The link to the declaration and registration form from the bureau of vital statistics is provided for your convenience; however, please note that both you and your spouse must fill out the form at the county clerk's office, if you do not fill out the form in your county clerk's office it will be invalid.