Family Law Attorney for Austin and Central Texas CALL US: 512-499-8678

Insurance Coverage for the Divorcing Couple

The Travis County Standing Order Regarding Children, Property and Conduct of the Parties prohibits a spouse from canceling or altering health, home, automobile, or life insurance during the pendency of a divorce.  Most counties in central Texas have similar orders. 

Typically, an insurance carrier will not provide coverage to an ex-spouse.  However, under federal law, i.e., COBRA, an ex-spouse may continue coverage for a maximum of 36 months.  The plan administrator must be notified within 60 days after divorce and then send notice to the ex-spouse within 14 days of the right to elect COBRA continuation coverage.  Although group health coverage for COBRA participants is usually more expensive than health coverage for active employees, it is ordinarily less expensive than individual health coverage.  If you have a question about continued coverage through COBRA, you can contact the plan administrator of the EBSA* at 1-866-444-3272.

* EBSA stands for the Employee Benefits Security Administration of the U.S. Department of Labor.