Family Law Attorney for Austin and Central Texas CALL US: 512-499-8678

Handling Attorney General and DRO Actions

The Texas Attorney General or a county Domestic Relations Office usually contacts a parent regarding child support before an enforcement action is sent to the court. Because of the penalties that a parent faces in these cases, legal representation is highly recommended. The Attorney General may bring a suit to establish paternity, an enforcement action for non-payment of child support, and interstate enforcements of child support sometimes requiring the registration of a foreign order (a child support order from another state.) Additionally, the Attorney General may seek the enforcement of an order from another country. The Domestic Relations Office can enforce a court-order when both parents reside in the same county. The court-order may involve possession and access (visitation) or payment of child support. Both entities attempt to resolve issues involving children by settlement conferences if at all possible.