Who May Adopt
Any adult that has standing to file a suit for adoption may adopt. The Texas Family Code provides that an adult may file a petition for adoption or for the termination of the parent-child relationship joined with a petition for adoption if the party meets one of the following criteria:
- a stepparent of the child;
- an adult who, as the result of a placement for adoption, has had actual possession and control of the child at any time during the 30-day period preceding the filing of the petition;
- and adult who has had actual possession and control of the child for not less than two months during the three-month period preceding the filing of the petition;
- an adult who has adopted, or is the foster parent of and has petitioned to adopt, a sibling of the child; or
- another adult whom the court determines to have had substantial past contact with the child sufficient to warrant standing to do so.
If you have any questions whether you are eligible to adopt, please do not hesitate to contact Rob Galvin, P.C.